Social media is amazing for getting your name out there, Facebook groups allow you to share your knowledge, engage in your pyjamas and learn from others, but we can’t just rely on social media to market ourselves and our business.
We have to continually look for ways to get in front of our audience and if like me, networking isn’t your thing then you might think you’re limited, but think again…
I’ve been extremely fortunate to be featured in a great local magazine, Wiltshire Business, which goes out every couple of months to – you’ve guessed it – Wiltshire businesses.
Here’s what I did to get some articles printed and there’s no reason why this method won’t work for you too:
- Identify some local mags and editorials (perhaps your local newspaper has a weekly or monthly business supplement). Where else? Have a think.
- Identify the editors – this is when LinkedIn and Facebook stalking skills are needed. Connect with them on LinkedIn and see if they’ve got an email address listed in their contact details. If not, I’m pretty sure you can guess it from the URL of their website.
- Grab a few recent copies and read through them to get a feel for the type of content and the audience. Only move forward with those editorials that are aimed at your target audience.
- What services of yours do you think the readers will enjoy or benefit from knowing more about, perhaps email management? Make a list.
- Pick one of your services and write a short article (350-400 words) sharing some tips and how the reader can improve their processes or systems using your advice and knowledge.
- Don’t ever worry about giving out too many trade secrets; some readers will learn from your tips others will admire your knowledge and know you’re the person to go to when they need that service.
- Send the article to the editor letting them know you’ve written it exclusively for their next edition, add that it can be expanded or reduced in word length if they need it to be.
Let me know how you get on or if you have any other tips, I’d love to know: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need any help further with this then book in a Power Hour with me.